Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fruiting Pears

Victor at Berkeley Hort. Nursery told me to plant more flowers next to my fruit trees. Duh! "The blossoms need to be pollinated." In February and March when your fruit trees come into bloom often there are not enough flowers close by to attract bees. "Plant lots of flowers so that the blossoms will get pollinated so that you have more fruit." I'm going to take Victor's advice. He went on to say composite flowers are the best. I know that Calendulas will do the job as they bloom well even in winter.

My next note is to plant Fava Beans and Peas. I'm already on my third try after the rats and birds have mowed down two crops. 'Dust yourself off and try again.' This week replanting is on my list. As late as it is.

It's not too late to add to your New Year's Res. list to make sculpture for this year's edible garden. Follow the path of blue pears... Make a place in your edible garden for delicious looking art. Then on a rainy day make paintings...If you are practical you can laminate them for place mats.


Happy Gardening in the New Year,

No comments: